[plug] Can you recommend a book on learning Linux?

Tim Bowden bowden at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 8 17:46:02 WST 2003

Garry wrote:
> Tim - Look on the bright side.. We are almost into BBQ season, and you
> have 926 firelighters at the ready..

My BBQ is gas.  Have to find a new use.

> Sobell's "A Practical Guide To Linux" is good, but beyond desktop user
> level thoough..
>
> HTH
>
> Garry.

"Linux Installation, configuration and use" by Michael Kofler is very
good for new linux users... or it was in the days of rh 6.0.  Not /too/
much in it has changed, but the user interface stuff is now very dated.
  If there is a recent revision then I would almost recommend it without
seeing it.  He doesn't go into server territory, but what he does cover
is very well done.  He assumes no knowledge but doesn't treat the user
like an idiot who isn't capable of mastering the more complex topics.

If anyone comes across a second hand copy then it would still be very
handy for a anyone who wants to get on top of the command line.

Tim Bowden