[plug] PPC firewall question

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 9 08:55:24 WST 2003

In message <1063067784.1031.203.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 08:36:24AM +0800, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 08:07, Quintin Lette wrote:
> > By the way does anyone know how to use the aaui port on a powermac under
> > linux, that would make life so easy... 2 onboard nics (10mb RJ45 + 10mb AAUI)
> > and 3 pci slots on the 7200/x series Powermacs :-)
>
> While I may be corrected by others, from memory you can use one or the
> other, not both. (Unless of course the Linux drivers do something waaay
> more funky than the original Apple drivers.)

Just talking generically, here...I would doubt (in my naivete) that
there is any electrical reason why you couldn't use both ports at once.
It is simply that the base Mac OS or appliance installations from Apple
used only a single network identity and thus it didn't make sense to try
to be using that single identity on two different Ethernet interfaces
simultaneously (e.g. no innate use for bridging across two Ethernet
interfaces). The limitation for Linux might be a lack of documentation
or reverse engineering for the AAUI port, though I don't think this is
the case given that NetBSD has AAUI support. Perhaps you just need to
install or port something <shrug>