[plug] battery monitor

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Tue Sep 9 18:20:38 WST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 17:33, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been trying to get the orinoco drivers compiled so that I can use
> airsnort, however in my 57th recompile of the kernel I have suddenly
> lost my battery monitor...well its there but it is showing a red ! and
> that it is empty...I dont remember doing anything special to get it working
> in the first place. Does anyone know what is required to get it to work
> again??

APM or APCI, if you are compiling 2.4.22 or above it has ACPI built in
and generally turned on by default, otherwise you have to patch it.

APM is in every kernel and for _MOST_ laptops should be off as they talk
ACPI better.  If you have both enabled, whichever the kernel tries to
load first wins ... hence the point of disabling APM.

What does dmesg say about all this? (right at the start of its output).
You can also see if you have /proc/acpi or /proc/apm to further
investigate.

Ryan