[plug] Virtual Servers and DNS entries

Richard Mortimer linux at netfire.com.au
Wed Sep 10 11:58:03 WST 2003

> > After a long battle to get virtual servers running under apache, I
finally
> > managed to get them working,
>
> Sad to hear it was problematic.

Yes, in fairness to Apache - the 'long battle' was broken over a few months,
but probably in 1/2 hour blocks per month.

The secret to (named) Virtual Servers that I have found is that you need to
bind them to a specific address (local IP), and a specific port (80, by
default). Asking them to listen to any incoming traffic on port 80 won't
suffice.

After trying to manipulate the httpd.conf by hand, I downloaded a copy of
Webmin - saw what changes it made, and was able to replicate this to other
virtual servers. Basically:

WRONG:
<VirtualHost bugs.netfire.com.au>
 # details
</VirtualHost>

RIGHT:
<VirtualHost 192.168.0.22:80>
 ServerName bugs.netfire.com.au
        # details
</VirtualHost>

I guess the "gotchya" for young players is that the VirtualHost tag is the
same for every virtualhost, whereas I expected the definition of the
VirtualHost to contain the information about the relevant server, rather
than that information being a level down.

Hope someone else can learn from my experiences!!

And thanks for the prompt reply.

Richard