[plug] dd'ing Windows disks

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 11:46:47 WST 2003

> It does copy the MBR, it's the first 512 bytes of /dev/hdX.  Possibly
> the disc geometry is slightly different though and thus your partition
> table and all your partitions are screwed up?

Yes, something like that. The situation has gone from bad to worse since my
first post. Windows spotted the new disk, considered what to do about it, and
concluded that completely screwing the registry would be the best course of
action. The machine won't boot now, even in safe mode. I'm once again using
Knoppix to try to get the data safely onto the new disk before I do a
complete reinstallation of Windows.

The sooner Linux has an application which matches Photoshop, the sooner I can
get this piece of Operating System crap out of my life... Grrr.... >:o(

--
> eatapple
core dump