Linux: Photoshop (Was: Re: [plug] dd'ing Windows disks)

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sat Sep 13 12:39:09 WST 2003

> Disclaimer: I'm but a boy who needed to get away from the evil empire
> because my OS kept crashing hard for the silliest things like no SCSI
> termination and running out of memory if it stayed up for longer than a
> week. This is not the solution for everyone, but it's working for me
> today.

One could argue that no SCSI termination is a pretty good argument for an OS to at
the very least get rather unhappy at you, at least if you were using SCSI disks. It
probably shouldn't crash, though, unless the boot drive is SCSI.

That said, point taken. When updating video drivers give you nightmares and make you
take disk images of your entire system, something is wrong.

Now I have a disk image of Win2k for gaming - if it dies or starts behaving funny, I
reimage it from a file on one of my reiserfs disks, and all is well. There's no data
the Windows partition that I care about, so Windows dying is much less of an issue.

Craig Ringer