Linux: Photoshop (Was: Re: [plug] dd'ing Windows disks)

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Sat Sep 13 14:20:37 WST 2003

> OK, while I'm in no position to gauge your use of Photoshop, I would
> like to suggest any of the following approaches to "ban this piece of OS
> crap from your life" - in order from cheap and simple to involved:

Believe me, I tried. For some usage patterns Linux on the desktop works fine.
For 85% of mine, it's all I need. It's just that other 15%... :sigh:

>       * While GIMP is no Photoshop, it's getting better and these days I
>         rarely fire up Photoshop anymore. More users means more
>         eyeballs, more bug reports, more improvements, better all round.

As you say, GIMP is no Photoshop. I cut my photo retouching teeth on GIMP and
got to know it quite well. But when I started to use Photoshop, well, the
increase in my productivity sky rocketed. The differences between the
packages are enormous when you get just a little below the surface.

>       * I have (from memory) in the past run Photoshop under Wine, but
>         please don't quote me on that.

As Ryan said, Crossover runs it,as does Vmware. Only, not quite to the level
required, at least as of the last time I tried both solutions. For example,
Photoshop needs to be able to control the hardware registers in the graphics
card in order to have absolute control over the colour balancing. Without
monitor calibaration it can't get correct sync between screen and printer.,
and colour management goes to pot.

> So while I don't have a Photoshop for you, you can in fact get that OS
> from your life to a large degree.

I'm 85% done, and in fact I use both a KVM switch and VNC just as you describe
them. I used to use Vmware but it has a habit of crashing the Linux box hard.
Only once a month or so, but that was enough for me to stop using it.

> Cheers - go forth and use Linux,

I do, most of the time!

--
> eatapple