[plug] dd'ing Windows disks

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sat Sep 13 22:26:48 WST 2003

In message <1063462470.19739.1.camel at rattus.localdomain>
on Sat, Sep 13, 2003 at 10:14:30PM +0800, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Did you pull the (mains) power cable for a few minutes?  Most MB's keep
> power on part of the baord even when supposedly off these days ...

While resetting a motherboard on some old (mid-nineties) Mac hardware
the other day, I found that after disconnecting the mains power, there
was enough charge to restart the motherboard + disks for about a second
by pressing the front-panel power button (which is connected to a switch
on the motherboard). Although this is presumably a side-effect of modern
power management, it may account for the resilience of certain "nice"
hardware during power fluctuations. At UWA, I have noticed that once or
twice a year the PCs reset themselves in unison while the Macs and Suns
carry on as normal (I assume it is a power issue, not an MS Windows
software problem ;-).