[plug] dd'ing Windows disks

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Sun Sep 14 09:00:39 WST 2003

On Saturday 13 September 2003 22:14, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Did you pull the (mains) power cable for a few minutes?  Most MB's keep
> power on part of the baord even when supposedly off these days ...

That's interesting, and would explain what I saw. I flicked the power switch
on the back of the PSU for a few seconds, but didn't wait any significant
period of time for any residual energy to clear.

I suspected a firmware hiccup on the disk at the time, possibly triggered by a
Windows update I applied a hour or two before. Disconnecting from the IDE bus
cleared the disk problem, and the disk has been running without complaint for
the last 48 hours or so.

--
> eatapple
core dump