[plug] distro question: 'standard'?

Jens Porup jens at cyber.com.au
Mon Sep 15 12:10:11 WST 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 11:34:08AM +0800, John Knight wrote:
> Sounds good, how's the installer? She won't be put off when I play around
> with it?

Linux Today reviews Libranet here:

	http://www.linuxiran.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=232

        Only one word can describe Libranet's installer: 'awesome'.
        Libranet's installer is text based (gasp), but it is simple,
        clean, easy to use, and smooth. Unfortunately there is this
        mentality among many computer users that everything graphical
        is easy to use, and anything text based is geeky and is not
        user friendly. Libranet's installer just shows how wrong this
        mentality is. I myself have dozens of times found my self in a
        situation dealing with a graphical installer, where I just
        don't know where to click because everything is so messed up.
        And I don't understand why some people call those eye candy
        useless installers which are barely able to perform their
        jobs; 'user friendly'. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing
        against a graphical installer. But in my opinion an installer
        (or in fact any kind of program) can be good and user
        friendly, or can be bad an useless, regardless of wether they
        are graphical or text based.