[plug] Cups, Debian 3.0 & HP printers

Sacha Schlegel schlegel at cs.curtin.edu.au
Mon Sep 15 15:53:33 WST 2003

Hi Laurie

I am running Debian GNU/Linux unstable and successfully print to a USB
HP PSC (Print Scan Copy) 2210 model. -> Its all possible.

Very often its a matter of time until you setup everything correctly.

If you install cupsys (you might check out other cupsys related
packages) you get a very basic set of printer drivers. Your DeskJet 692C
might not be included in that printer set.

Then there is foomatic-db which provides printer description files (in
XML) for a lot of printers, where your printer might be included. Have a
look at http://www.linuxprinting.org

For my printer I installed foomatic-db foomatic-db-engine
foomatic-db-hpijs (HP photo quality printing) and then compiled the
printer description files with  foomatic-compile to printer ppd files.

Had to edit a link so cupsys knew about the just newly compiled ppd
files and the next time I restarted cupsys I could choose from a very
big list of printers in the web-gui of cupsys.

You can also just download the printer driver for your specific printer,
which saves you lots of disk space.

Hope this helps.

Sacha