[plug] Any ISP's on this list? - Verisign adds wildcard A Record to .com/.net DNS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 16 21:16:54 WST 2003

Hmm... does anybody know if it's actually possible to configure BIND to
'reject' certain replies as invalid, and report NXDOMAIN instead? My
normal solution to domains I don't want to know about is to become
authoritative for them on our internal nameserver, so that it never
bothers forwarding requests. This won't work here - it's not confined to
one domain.

I've already used iptables to reject all traffic to the IP with an ICMP
destination network unreachable, but that's only half the problem - the
name for a nonexitant domain still resolves.

Hopefully this won't require a BIND patch to restore the normal
behaviour of the DNS (like an 'verisign-nxdomain-a-records' entry in
named.conf).

*sigh*

At least the .au TLD is clean for now... and I trust Chris Disspain and
the other folks at AuDA to make _sure_ it stays that way.

Craig Ringer