Dieing hda? (was Re: [plug] "hdc: lost interrupt" - prob with 2.4.20 kernel)

Weirdo linuxalien at optusnet.com.au
Tue Sep 16 21:33:06 WST 2003

I was having similar problems with my Seagate 80Gb HDD. The other OS and
its 60GBs worth of partitions all appeared to be fine and then lilo died
this morning. It is an Intel Desktop Board and I am wondering if this could
be the problem, I have had this board for about a month with 1 Linux
reinstall as it wouldn't boot one day cause the ext3 partition was
corrupted beyond repair. The drive is currently out waiting a possible
Ghost/Backup before anything else happens. I was told by a friend that it
is probably dieing. Any suggests would be really nice before I send it back
to Seagate to claim it on warranty.
Thankx
Tim
At 02:26 28/08/2003 +0800, you wrote:
>On Wed, 2003-08-27 at 06:59, Denis Brown wrote:
> > I'd say definitely an Intel offerring :-)    The general thought on this
> > "lost interrupt" scenario is that the kernel "got bored" waiting for an
> > interrupt to arrive.   I guess a longer timeout would help, but then you
> > might get into a situation where unneccesary wait times were incurred,
> > blah, blah...   Looks like 2.4.22 fixes it anyway along with other errors
> > highlit in your eleusis reference.
> >
> > Interesting (in eleusis) that the PIIX tuning option went missing - must
> > admit to not have noticed it myself at the time.   Not even sure I can
> > recall seeing it in the 2.4.22 build yesterday - will check on it but so
> > far so good.
>
>Hmmm... I downloaded the 2.4.22 kernel sources this afternoon and
>quickly built a kernel (using the config from my current kernel and
>tweaking a few things).
>
>Shambhala:~$ uptime
>  02:24:19 up  8:19,  5 users,  load average: 0.02, 0.65, 1.11
>Shambhala:~$ uname -a
>Linux Shambhala 2.4.22 #1 Wed Aug 27 17:55:31 WST 2003 i686 unknown
>
>All good so far. :) Btw, I didn't notice the PIIXn tuning support option
>in this menuconfig either... maybe they've fixed it in the source code.
>:P
>
>Regards
>§:)

weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk
Dot TK ambassador #24084 - For a free .tk domain please contact me

ICQ# 255176389
MSN weirdo AT linuxalien DOT tk

Riverton, Perth, WA