[plug] verisign DNS breakage - bind patch FYI

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Sep 16 21:58:59 WST 2003

Hi folks

If it's of any use for customers severely affected by the verisign DNS
breakage (the new .net/.com wildcard A record), I've found a preliminary
patch to BIND.

http://achurch.org/bind-verisign-patch.html

As the author notes, this is not production quality, and only applies to
bind8. It may be worth informing your tech support staff of, however, in
case you have customers using BIND8 locally who are severly affected and
need to try any available fix.

I hope that later iiNet will be able to patch their nameservers to
correctly return NXDOMAIN to any DNS reply with an A record of
64.94.110.11 .

I'm going to be porting this patch to BIND9 and applying it here. We get
a lot of amateur spam 'press releases' etc, which spoof a non-existant
domain instead of the traditional webmail address. As such, they're easy
to reject or tarpit at the MAIL FROM: stage of the SMTP transaction,
avoiding wasting our bandwidth and staff time. They're the vast majority
of our incoming spam. SpamAssassin is not good at catching this kind of
spam, as it looks a lot like a legit press release and it's only really
a major problem for organisations on the "newspaper" email address lists
floating around the 'net. The Verisign changes have totally broken this,
and I'm already seeing our mail volumes increasing sharply.
Even accepting these messages at all also increases our bandwidth costs
and mail server load (especially with SpamAssassin).

I'll be delighted to hear if iiNet patches it's nameservers to restore
the proper behaviour of the DNS, in the process rejecting Verisign's
money-grubbing move and saving yourselves and your customers time,
aggrivation, and wasted bandwidth.

Craig Ringer
IT Manager
POST Newspapers