Dieing hda? (was Re: [plug] "hdc: lost interrupt" - prob with 2.4.20 kernel)

Paul Arch paul at sdmgroup.com.au
Wed Sep 17 11:06:59 WST 2003

<snip>

> I've recently had a 80GB Seagate HDD throw unfixable surface problems
> straight out of its shipping container. I was not impressed. Suggestion:
drag
> your data off and return the drive.

 Undoubtably you have heard of the dodgy batch of fujitsui HDDs getting
around. Anyway, I had a seagate 20gig that looked like it was on the way
out, but the HDD was actually OK - it was a fault on the motherboard (Dual
celeron 433) - the capacitors on the motherboard had leaked/dryed out, and a
couple of the V. Reg coils had cooked.  Fixed these and then everything was
sweet again.

 My advice is to backup, and perhaps then try the drive in another board if
you can - depending on who you return the hdd to, they might not replace the
hdd - rather make you wait for your drive to go for repair and then come
back to you - which may take many weeks  and many phone calls :(

cheers