[plug] programming

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 18 13:55:27 WST 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Adam Hewitt wrote:

> Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 13:13:54 +0800
> From: Adam Hewitt <ahewitt at globaldial.com>
> To: PLUG <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
> Subject: [plug] programming
>
> Hi All,
>
> I am very interested in learning to program but I am at a loss as to
> where to start. There seems to be hundreds of languages out there and
> without learning them all I can't mnake a judgement on which one will be
> the best to start off with. Bascially I have a few simple ideas for some
> programs I would like to work on, if it is possible for a beginner to
> jump straight into graphical programs (gtk+) then I would prefer to do
> that. I have done some work with VB and C++ a long time ago but I dont
> think I would remember enough to not have to start from scratch.
>
> Does anyone have some suggestions on where I should start, what I should
> use and information on both? I am in the process of buying a house and I
> am supporting a pregnant wife so I dont think I can justify buying books
> at this stage so any online info would be great.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam.

Without any comments on the suitability of any programming language over
another, regarding whatever you choose, for example, gtk mentioned
above, typing "gtk" and "tutorial" into google, gives about 128,000
results, with the first being www.gtk.org/tutorial ; "GTK+ 2.0
Tutorial".

Have you learnt it yet? :)
- Lots of tutorials out there, and, easy to find.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."