[plug] programming

Derek Fountain derekfountain at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Sep 18 15:01:04 WST 2003

> I've never seen a desktop application written in Perl...

Fair point. There are a few, but the lack of a properly integrated GUI toolkit
mainly prevents that. Perl is a language best left on the server, or as an
adminstrator's tool.

> I have seen it
> used it in many places as a data filter, such as between a form and a db
> or filesys,

I'm not sure that reading the input from a form, issuing SQL queries to a DB,
then packaging the replies in HTML, XML or whatever can be called a data
filter can it?

I've used Perl to create graphs (they are easy to spot - they all look like
your iinet "volume usage" graph :o)), build and manipulate XML DOM
structures, do no end of weird things with MySQL databases, and
administration processes. I've got a number of web page/ftp file fetching and
analysing scripts and a few web page creation scripts (digital camera photos
quickly plonked into a page on HTML, that sort of thing).

There's probably still more Perl/CGI out there than any other type of Perl
application though.

I recently saw (on this list?) Perl described as "everyone's favourite Swiss
Army chainsaw" - the perfect desciption!

> P.S. I once heard someone say that Microsoft as a corporation wasn't
> evil...  I don't think my comment could compare to that in falseness, no
> matter how off the mark I am ;-)

Now that is true... :o)

--
> eatapple