[plug] programming

Kirk Turner kirk.turner at wagoonline.com
Thu Sep 18 15:23:22 WST 2003

Weighing in a bit late, but just my comments on Java:

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:46, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 13:24, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > The PyGTK and PyQT modules allow
> > graphical programming. Python is also pleasantly well documented, and
> > has a fairly reasonable online community.
> >
> > Some may point to Ruby as 'all the good bits of python' or 'what python
> > wanted to be' - I can't comment, having never used it, but perhaps
> > somebody who has can fill you in.
>
> Is there any kind of VB style programming suite for gtk or something close?
> What do most people use to do their actual programming specifically when it
> comes to graphical programming?

We use Java at work for GUI development cos it's quick and simple and
can be used for standalone and applet development with minimal changes.
Borland's JBuilder is about the best IDE we've found - which if your
using it for non-commercial purposes I think you can download and use it
(don't quote me on that). But the graphical designer is pretty decent.
However you pay through the nose if you need it for commercial reasons,
oh and it eats memory like nothing else I've seen.

<aside>
Murdoch may start with Java now, but I don't think they should (I
started with Pascal there)... I've seen way too many confused CS
students trying to understand procedural programming stuck into an OO
language. I would suggest teaching C for the basics and technical
concepts (a stack to a java programmer is just a package you import)
then switching to Java later.
</aside>

Kirk