[plug] dd progress bar

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Sep 18 15:30:03 WST 2003

Hi folks

I'm working on an installer for the computer angels distro. It's pretty
simple - netbooted, auto partitioning, writes images over the network
with transparent decompression, expands the images to fill the
partitions, writes an MBR, and reboots.

Everything is now going well, and with a few limitations (ie no SCSI
support yet) it is fully functional.

However... it really, really needs a progress bar in `dd` so that the
user can tell how much data has been written to disk. The lack of a
progress bar makes it feel like it's taking FOREVER, when it's only a
few minutes. I've found a patch to `dd` to add a progress bar, but it
was a rather strange one and appeared to be for an old version of `dd`.

So... does anybody know of a progress bar patch I can use for `dd`
that'll work nicely with the current version? I'm thinking of something
along the lines of the progress bar `wget` displays when running on a
terminal.

We all know that a progress bar makes it feel faster - and in this case,
it helps the tech know when to come back to the machine, too.

I'm using the fileutils `dd`, not the busybox one.

Craig Ringer