[plug] dd progress bar

Luke Dudney dex at wn.com.au
Thu Sep 18 17:02:22 WST 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-18 at 15:35, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > However... it really, really needs a progress bar in `dd` so that the
> > user can tell how much data has been written to disk. The lack of a
> > progress bar makes it feel like it's taking FOREVER, when it's only a
> > few minutes. I've found a patch to `dd` to add a progress bar, but it
> > was a rather strange one and appeared to be for an old version of `dd`.\
>
> Aarrrggh. As so often happens, I found one after posting, despite having
> looked for it just the other day. Still, suggestions are welcome.
>
> Craig Ringer

I've used "partition image" for this task previously and it seems to do
the job. It does network and local backup / restore with optional gzip
or bzip2 compression, and unlike dd only copies used portions of the
disk. It has an interface with a percentage bar and other statistics on
the progress of the operation, and can be scripted on the command line.

http://www.partimage.org/

Cheers
Luke