[plug] programming

Paul Wilson hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 18 22:34:02 WST 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-admin at plug.linux.org.au [mailto:plug-admin at plug.linux.org.au]
On Behalf Of Ben New
Sent: Thursday, 18 September 2003 3:36 PM
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] programming

>OK....  to everyone who has put me right ;-)
>
>Firstly I'd like to say that I had no idea the mandrake config tools
>were Perl, or frozen bubble.  And the volume accounting that Paul
>mentions sounds like it would have to run continually like a daemon -
or
>is it only the server child process that is Perl?

32 servers each have 2 Perl daemons running - 16 of them have one port
forwarder (which also does limited data validation) and a collector
which soaks up UDP packets; another 16 have a pair of Perl daemons, one
to transfer data from other nearby servers and a second to do the actual
munging. In addition there's an analyzer farm each of which has a shell
script daemon acting as job scheduler running Perl scripts on demand.
There's a database server with half a dozen assorted Perl daemons and a
chunky NFS server with mixed shell and Perl daemons.

>Getting back to what I was originally trying to say (obviously
>ineffectively since everyone missed the point :-)):  If you are looking

>to learn a language to write GUI applications (which is what the
>original poster was after) you wouldn't make Perl your first choice.

I'd use Perl for proof-of-concept if I could, but rewrite in something
else for a production system particularly if any kind of performance was
needed - Perl/tk ain't fast :-)

>I think every language is designed for a limited class of application.

>Even Java, the so-called solution for everything from your microwave to

>your enterprise solutions, simply isn't suitable for a large number of
>problems (eg system programming, device drivers, etc).  Perl is great
>for many things but not so great with guis.

Dead right. Frex, Java wouldn't handle the volume collection/munging
system mentioned above (for memory requirement and performance reasons
mainly).

Hooker

---