[plug] Retracting the CD tray from the lpt port.

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Sep 19 22:33:57 WST 2003

At 12:48 PM 19-09-2003 +0800, you wrote:
>Anyone know of a program that looks at the state of an input on the LPT
>port and then executes a command when that input changes ?
>
>What I want to do is have a switch (either on the parallel port or the
>serial - which ever is least work) and when the button is pressed, the
>CDROM door is retracted.
>
>I want to avoid buchering my hardware too much, hence I have no problems
>doing a little soldering in order to make up a simple interface.
>
>This is for a Lego Mindstorms CD changer project I'm working on (been
>working on for a while...).  I figured out how I can do pretty much
>everything else, but retracting the CD tray is proving to be quite a
>hassle, mainly because of the location of the switch, as well as how
>much pressure is required to activate the button on some drives.
>
>If there isn't a specific program to do it, how difficult would it be to
>do with perl?  I'm no programmer but I've had a little expirience with
>perl.

A couple of years ago - there was a script being passed around by a bunch of
script kiddies who use mIRC (IRC software on Windows). They would trick a
newbie into downloading the script, then through the IRC software they could
remotely open/close the CDROM tray - they did this in order the get the
newbie to believe that their computer was being controlled from somewhere else.

I don't know if this helps - but it seems plausible to me.

Regards Arie Hol