[plug] Please help.. i'm desperate

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Sun Sep 21 15:04:56 WST 2003

On Sun, 2003-09-21 at 07:29, Daniel Pearson wrote:
> After having ADSL for almost a week now, it is still not working. I've tried
> many modems, all which work as soon as they're plugged in - for a few hours,
> then they will drop out never to gain line synch again. The only way I can
> get them to gain synch is by picking up the handset on a phone.

No technical mastery here:

I had similar problems and it was the phone lead from the modem to the
wall :)  When I picked it up to inspect it or was otherwise playing with
it, all was well, then if I left it for a while it would lose sync ...
then find it again etc.  It responded fine with a phone on it so I never
suspected the lead until I swapped it out of desperation.

I've also seen dry solder joints in DSL filters.

So it was simple a VERY tenuous wiring connection.

Ryan