[plug] Please help.. i'm desperate

Daniel Pearson gpearson at iinet.net.au
Sun Sep 21 16:14:09 WST 2003

> I had similar problems. In my case, it was solved by moving to a
> non-crap DSL modem (an Alcatel SpeedTouch Pro, instead of a DSL-300).
> The real problem appears to be our phone line, either between the house
> and the pit or the pit and the exchange. However, a replacement modem
> was much less fuss than getting telstra to admit that the phone line was
> f***ed. Typically (I've had to do it before) this requires months of
> fault calls.
Well, i've tried a Dynalink USB modem, and I went out and bought a Billion
BIPAC-711 CE, both which as soon as they plugged in worked fine, however...
after 4 hours or so, they cut out - never to gain such an easy connection
again.

<snip>

> I was lucky in that Westnet were (after a lot of argument and prodding,
> admittedly) willing to swap my DSL-300 for a new Alcatel for the
> difference in price. It appears that the Alcatel is just better
> engineered (wow, who would've thought... no wait) than the D-Link was,
> and was much better able to handle poor line conditions.
You'd think being in a new area, with a newly built house would avoid this
:( *sigh*

Don't suppose I could steal your Alcatel for a few days? ;-)

Cheers,
Daniel