[plug] Please help.. i'm desperate

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Sep 21 19:34:31 WST 2003

>>I assume it can be switched to behave like a
>>normal ethernet DSL modem? [snip]
>
> Correct. And by normal DSL modem you mean making it so that the PC can take
> care of the PPPoE?

Yes.

>>Have you tried talking to iiNet and seeing if they can provde a decent
>>quality DSL modem as a loaner? [snip]
>
> I bought the original from Synnex (PC Parts supplier, wholesaler). Already
> asked about a loaner modem, got a big no in response.
 >
>>My argument when I went through this with WestNet was the loss of line
>>sync CAN NOT be a problem with my system. [snip]
>
> Yeh, thats exactly what I did. Tried my laptop running Windows 2000, to no
> avail also.

Well, since the modem isn't from iiNet I'm not too surprised they aren't
interested in doing a loaner. Telstra, of course, are never interested
:-( . The reason I got my DSL modem from WestNet in the first place was
to avoid the possibility of the very situation you're in - to make it
impossible for the ISP to say "it's your equipment, go away". I didn't
want to be bounced between the modem vendor tech support, my ISP, and
Telstra, so I had to make it all my ISP's problem.

> iiNet has called in a fault twice now, I believe. I'm just waiting to here
> back from them. They're fairly good like that.

Wow, I'm impressed. They're normally /really/ reluctant to do that.

Craig Ringer