[plug] Tape Backups: Amanda

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Sep 21 20:43:36 WST 2003

So, thanks to Matt, the IDE tape drive is now working, full report
later...

I'm attempting to configure Amanda, and this is from their manual:

        What is the difference between tapecycle and dumpcycle? Because
        it seems not always to be clear:
        The dumpcycle is the full backup frequency - how often you get a
        full backup with incrementals between. The tapecycle is not
        connected to the dumpcycle - its just the number of tapes you
        have free to use. The more tapes in the tapecycle, the longer is
        the history of the backups.
        To have a history of 8 weeks, but at least a full backup of
        everything once a week, you can use the following:
        dumpcycle 1 week runspercycle 5 days tapecycle 42 tapes # 2
        tapes extra wont harm

        You can also change this values in a running config without
        problem. Amanda will care about adapting the planer-process to
        the new cycle.

Can someone please tell me what this means in English, rather than
blithering idiot gibberish?

All I want to do is do a full backup each day with one tape each day,
Monday to Friday. It shouldn't be this hard.

Alternatively, anyone know of some backup software that will copy one
drive with multiple partitions on one machine to a holding disk on
another machine, and backup that disk to tape on the same machine as the
holding disk?

PS. Requirement is that it has a manual, it works, there is support and
I don't need to read 500 pages of gibberish to actually make it work -
better yet, it asks me 20-50 questions during install and then just
runs.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..