[plug] IDE-Tape Drive - Solved

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Mon Sep 22 11:23:32 WST 2003

Well, it works...

Matt went on site and he did the jig with different Kernel versions off
boot-floppies, updated the BIOS, all no good.

Then he pulled out his trusty screw driver and started shorting out
chips - just kidding - moved the devices around the various channels.

The option that works is:

Channel 0: hda - the one that was always there
Channel 1: ht0 - as a master
Channel 2: hdd - as a slave

So, the tape drive just works, the disk just mounts and I've not had any
freezes (yet), even though I've copied several hundred Gb across the net
onto the drive.

I've successfully used dump and restore to the tape drive, and was going
to be happy to use that until I read an email from Linus who told me
that I shouldn't use those if I wanted my data back.

I then began to use tar, but of course if you want to exclude files or
directories, it doesn't actually work in any way.

Now I'm reading about the abomination known as Amanda.

Why does our so-called "superiour server solution" have such abysmal
backup systems?

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S15:51'18" - E128:45'05" (Crossing Falls, Kununurra, WA)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..