[plug] [OT] murdoch IT dept

Ben New ben at leftclick.com.au
Mon Sep 22 11:35:37 WST 2003

IMO it's not the choice of languages that is causing the problem.  C and
Java are different enough (from each other) that the low-level stuff can
be taught in C, and the OO stuff in the Java unit.  C++ just has too
many causes for confusion, like the passing-by-reference thing, and its
complete botch job of object orientation.  But we learnt C++ in my time,
and I'm so glad it was that and not Pascal (I hated that long-winded
language!) just that Java would have been better for OO imho ;-)

Just that changing back to C++, or to any other language, will not solve
the problems that currently exist.  I think the problem is partly the
structure of the courses (e.g. trying to jam a bit of assembler in a C
course is just rude).  But the main problem is that the academics are
completely usel<SNIP!  In the name of avoiding defamation suits...>

For example, no wonder the students are confused about simple OO stuff.
The second assignment of B104 (the Java unit) asks for a program that
includes 3 classes - a Person class, an Account class and a client
application class (with the main method).  No problems with that.... but
hang on!  It says here that Account should be *derived from Person*
WHAT THE???   Account IS-A Person...???  hmmmmmmm......

And strangely enough (!), the students I've talked to had no idea what
"derived from" even meant!

I seem to remember these are the same lecturers that, during my
education, would respond to the most straight forward of questions with,
"I don't know, you look it up the book!"

Anyway in the interest of not flooding the list with this crap, I'm
going to make this my last post to this thread :-)  Feel free to reply
to me off-list if you feel the need ;-)

Ben

P.S. Paul and any other Murdoch students, I offer private tuition for
moderate rates, please contact me off-list if interested.  Sorry if this
is too commercial-like but it is on an OT thread :-}