[plug] Red Hat

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Sep 22 20:48:52 WST 2003

Interesting I asked this very question to their sales staff and they stated no such issues, now I'm reading this and thinking it's time to move away from RH, only problem is all the latest NetWare stuff is going to be using either SUSE or RH in their development work.  Time to do some more digging.

Matt I agree with you in one part but in the greater scheme of things I still see RH as the dominant distro in the mainstream/corporation development.  I was talking to a developer today on one of my sites and he also mentioned as much as he would like to change from RH to Debian, it just isn't good sense ....yet to make the move.

What I'm wondering is what is stop all the other distros from following suit?  After all this is nothing more than a "pay if you want to play" campaign that RH is pulling.  Yes the cost is $39.95 (cheap enough) but based on what I'm hearing I have to buy a copy of the boxed CD for each sight to be compliant.

Does that sound right?

Jon
Matt Kemner wrote:

>The letter we received from RH was quite clear:
>
>"While it is completely legal to copy and redistribute the Linux software
> under the GNU General Public License, it is not legal to name that
> software \"RED HAT\" or any similar name thereof.
>
>"In accordance with the provisions of the End User License Agreement
> (EULA), it is required that the trademark and anaconda images be
> modified so that the trademarks do not appear in the software.  Please
> note that the mere deletion of these files will corrupt the software."
>
>So even if you make a copy for a friend, you can't call it Red Hat, and
>you have to make modifications to the CDs first.

So I'm guessing that applies to sites that choose to mirror Red Hat....
oops, the OS formerly called a certain coloured hat.

Well I was already moving away from using Red Hat myself, but that
certainly puts the final nail in the coffin if you ask me.

/ Ben

Jon L. Miller, MCNE, CNS
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby