[plug] Red Hat

Craig Foster fostware at iinet.net.au
Mon Sep 22 22:14:30 WST 2003

plug-admin at plug.linux.org.au wrote:
<snip>
> What I'm wondering is what is stop all the other distros from
> following suit?  After all this is nothing more than a "pay if you
> want to play" campaign that RH is pulling.  Yes the cost is $39.95
> (cheap enough) but based on what I'm hearing I have to buy a copy of
> the boxed CD for each sight to be compliant.
>
> Does that sound right?
>
> Jon
<snip>

It's not a matter of compliance.
It just means you can't sell a downloaded copy as "Red Hat".
You can still sell it. Just not with a big red fedora on the front.
It's a corporate image thing. "If it's free, it can't be that good"-kinda
thing...
Sheesh even Slashdot got bored of this one :P

Like someone copying Mandrake CD's and specifically calling it Mandrake
Pro-Suite or whatever. However Mandrake aren't being pedantic about the
free downloadable versions having their name on it.
It's a veeeeery fine line...

Craig F.