[plug] Deb Driver Disks

Sham Chukoury chukours at ses.curtin.edu.au
Tue Sep 23 02:23:03 WST 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 23:08, Andrew Carson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Tell me.. the driver-1  to  driver-4.bin files.. they're supposed to be
> driver disks right?  If I dd them using a block size of either 512 or 1024
> to floppy disk, or if I use RaWrite, I can't mount  them.. and if I try to
> use them during a deb install (Woody,) install complains that it cant mount
> them either.. on several different systems.  Am I missing something?
> trying to make the transition from RH   :^)

Erm.. afaik, you only put in the driver disks when prompted to do so. At
some stage during the install, you'll be prompted to insert the 'rescue'
disk to be loaded, then you'll be prompted to insert the 4 driver disks
in sequence (i.e. disk 1, followed by disk 2, and so on... not an
arbitrary order). And, no, I couldn't mount the driver disks
individually either... dunno what's with that. ;P

Worked fine when I installed Deb on my P133 laptop here - booted
installer from floppies, configured pcmcia network card [1], installed
everything over http from my main PC, which had all of CD 1 copied over
to hard disk. :)

[1] network card is a netgear fa411, for reference. :P The Deb installer
wouldn't set it up properly - it would ask for all the settings, then
appear to unload and reload the drivers for the card, without bringing
the interface up. Switching to another console and using ifconfig did
the trick. :)

§:)