[plug] Please help Daniel: comparing Billion reports

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Tue Sep 23 09:34:38 WST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 08:38:28AM +0800, Leon Brooks wrote:
> I'd be looking very sternly at those other outlets, dusting off some
> overalls and reaching for a set of sidecutters.

I know I'm dropping into this thread rather late, and I'm the first to
admit that I didn't really pay anywhere near enough attention in my
electronics classes, but I have noticed a rather interesting case that
puts noise on my phone line.  I run a cheap telephone extension cable
along the floor of my flat (for quite some distance), connected to a
double adapter.  On the double adapter is also a telephone:

             /-------stupidly-long-extension-----|=
wall-socket=-=
             \-|-telephone

When the telephone is used alone, I can happily hear AM radio.  I unplug
the extension cable, it goes away.

The interesting thing is that if I put the phone on the end of the
cable, there's no problem.  In fact, if I put any phone on the cable and
make use of it, there is no AM radio; I get a crystal-clear line.  If
the phone on the end of the cable isn't being used, there is noise.

I can only summise that the power over the line protects it from
inteference.

Since going ADSL and putting a filter in instead of the double adapter,
all these problems have ceased.  Perhaps a central filter/splitter would
solve your problems for you by filtering out the noise collected by your
idle non-ADSL lines?

Anyone who actually knows what they're talking about is welcome to tell
me I'm wrong  :)

--
 Leon Blackwell                | This email has been ROT-26 encoded.
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     |