[plug] redundant services

Adam Hewitt ahewitt at globaldial.com
Tue Sep 23 14:08:02 WST 2003

Hi All,

I am in the process of setting up an LVS cluster with a backup
'director' (using failoverd) and assigning at least two real servers for
each service offered, and so far this has worked fine. I am now
concidering using some type of storage area network to hold all the data
required by each of the services (as mentioned in a previous post). The
problem that I am having is that using something like NFS wont work
because if I have two services both trying to access the same data, then
some type of access control is required otherwise *bad* things will
happen. I have looked at OpenGFS (Open Global File System) which does
have the access control functionality however it appears to only be
useful if you are connecting your linux boxen to sometype of standalone
disk array, ie. not another linux box, but a fibre channel array or
firewire device etc. Does anyone have any info on how this could be
achieved?

Cheers,

Adam.