[plug] MP3s on a NTFS not working out

Jan Schmidt thaytan at mad.scientist.com
Tue Sep 23 14:50:46 WST 2003

<quote who="Weirdo">
*snip*
> the files off NTFS. If I move them to ext2/3 or FAT it works fine. The
> error I get is device not found (i spent weeks trying to find out what
> module wasn't loaded, by accident I found out it was the NTFS)
> Can any one tell me why this happens and how I can redeem it without moving
> files?

A while ago, we had a problem in GStreamer like this. It turned out to be
that the NTFS driver doesn't support mmap file reading, and we didn't have a
fallback.

Looking at the mpg123 0.59r source, it looks like it should fall back to
normal read calls, but perhaps there is a bug, or you aren't using that
version - if indeed you are seeing the same problem as we did.

A simple test for you might be:

cat myfile.mp3 | mpg123 -

If that works, I'd say it is mmap, in which case make sure you're running
the latest mpg123, or try GStreamer (gst-launch-ext should play
mp3/ogg/others from the command line happily)

J.
Jan Schmidt                                  thaytan at mad.scientist.com

"Don't Panic" -- The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy