[plug] To Build a kernel

Ryan ryan at is.as.geeky.as
Wed Sep 24 15:20:43 WST 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-24 at 15:06, Laurie Anderson wrote:

>    Hi,
>    I think I need to build another Kernel as the one I am using at present
>    whould be Debian Woody, which should I thought be version 2.4.**, discovered
>    that it is infact version 2.2.20, the Debian 3.0 CD's were used.
>    How do we achieve this on an existing system???
>    To what do we upgrade too???.

2.4.22 is very stable.  If you are a kernel virgin I think you'd be best
to come to a workshop with the machine and get someone to walk your
through the configuration bit.  The actual compilation is the easy bit.

Essentially:

- get kernel source - ftp.uwa.edu.au is where I normally get mine.
- configure the kernel - workshop recommended :)
- compile it
- install it
- reboot and cross fingers

In future with woody, you can type 'bf24' at the boot prompt where you
normally press enter to install using a 2.4.18 kernel ... and ext3
support and a few other niceties.

Ryan