[plug] [OT] In need of the superior brain power of the LINUX community to brainstorm some ideas

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Thu Sep 25 12:37:39 WST 2003

On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Colin Trueman wrote:

> Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2003 11:25:11 +0800
> From: Colin Trueman <col_1 at bigpond.com>
> To: Plug <plug at plug.linux.org.au>
> Subject: [plug] [OT] In need of the superior brain power of the LINUX
>     community to brainstorm some ideas
>
> Whilst this is a bit OT there is a LINUX server involved...
>
> I have a friend who (to cut a long story short) is scratching his head
> looking for a viable business use for 3 servers (2 x win2000, 1 x RH7.3) and
> 30 win98 boxen, all are networked and the lan has a large b/w net access.
> General specs of all boxen are about 1Ghz processor the servers have a bit
> more grunt and a bunch of RAM.  We have brainstormed some ideas but are
> looking for some fresh more learned options/ideas.  Any and all ideas
> welcome (except the standard 'scrap all the doze' kinda stuff... lol)
>

> Cheers all
> Col

Apart from selling the equipment (why get the equipment, THEN look for
a use for it?), there are the possibilities of using it for training,
setting up an Internet cafe,  software development, a paid
support/helpdesk set up, a research ("You email/phone us with your query
and we'll research it") facility, using search engine searching (there
is already at least one business apparently doing fairly well from
that).

The possibilities are limited only by the imagination.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."