[plug] European software patents

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Sep 25 13:38:40 WST 2003

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:29:06PM +0800, Richard Meyer wrote:

> Good news.
>
>  http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/33016.html
>
>  <quote>

>   US  practices  that  allow  the  patenting  of  business
>   methods have been dropped, the Dow Jones Newsletter
>   reports.

>   That  means  ideas such as the "one-click" online shopping
>   method patented in the US by Amazon.com are disallowed under the
>   proposed European patent regulations.

More significantly:

<quote>
... widespread protests from critics of the measures have succeeded
in pulling much of the sting from the proposed regulations. A
compromise resolution passed by MEPs features numerous amendments,
the most important of which limits the scope of software patents to
"true inventions".

</quote>