[plug] To Build a kernel

Laurie Anderson vautin at aijv.com.au
Fri Sep 26 12:17:19 WST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003 15:21:48 +0800
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> Laurie Anderson wrote:

  Hi,

  Installed a more up to date kernel that is from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18-bf2-4
  This seems the simplest option at this time, will do something further
  at the next plug group at UWA 4th monday of the month.

  The new kernel installed OK.  --  used the existing LILO.
  As a result of the upgrade found the following

  ftp
  ftp> open 192.168.0.1                    this ia a gateway address
  ftp: connect: Network is unreachable
  ftp>

  Find that the Internet doesn't function either, using Mozilla.

  get the following message

  "www.google.com could not be found. Please check the name & try again."

  irrispective of what I try.

  checked /etc/network/interfaces  looks fine.
  checked printer works fine.

  Trying to workout what else to look at or try.

  Laurie

  PS By the way does Jan still work for the Post if so give her my requards
     Laurie Anderson