[plug] advanced routing

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 26 14:41:29 WST 2003

> ok i think i left out a few minor details. my internet connection is
> shared over my network. Basically I want to use bandwidth limiting
> somehow so when i open web pages they will open at about 1-2kbps, instead of not opening at all. I found a how-to that uses delay pools.
> http://www.linux.org/docs/lpd/howto/Bandwidth-Limiting-HOWTO/

Squid and delay pools etc will only help you if your competing traffic
is also going through Squid. It can't help you if the traffic competing
for bandwitdth is (say) direct FTP, ssh, IMAP, POP3, BitTorrent, etc.
This is when QoS services like HTB and CBQ become handy, because they
can manage all IP traffic passing through the machine.

Unless you've got IPX/SPX or AppleTalk going over your internet link
(rather unlikely...), the kernel QoS can then manage all outgoing
traffic. You can't directly manage incoming traffic, but you can drop
packets to cause the TCP/IP connection to back off to a lower speed.
This won't help with UDP streams :-(

Craig Ringer