[plug] advanced routing

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Sep 26 15:33:18 WST 2003

>>Without knowing anything about your location or circumstances, would it
>>be possible to just upgrade to adsl?

I speak from experience when I say you still need traffic control on
ADSL - at least with a shared connection.

> yes it would probably be easier and faster to have dsl, but 1. we only
> have one phone line,

That's actually not an issue - ADSL uses the high frequencies on the
existing line, and won't affect your voice service.

> 2. I have a stingy mother. I would pay for it my
> self but im unemployed.

Rather more of a show-stopper. I'm lucky - I share a house with 3
others, so we pay $20/month each for high-performance ADSL. It doesn't
work that way for most - I'd be hard-pressed to justify $80/month for
ADSL if I was unable to share the cost, it's kind of galling. I ran into
a canadian guy on the bus stop the other day who'd just moved here, and
wanted to know about DSL. When I told him the prices, he was
flabbergasted - he'd paid AU$20/month for UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD 512kb/s
ADSL service.

Anybody got an axe? I've a mind to visit a telstra office...

Craig Ringer