[plug] Re: configuring Mandrake for dial-up modem

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Sun Sep 28 12:38:44 WST 2003

Ben New wrote:
> Mandrake Control Center [sic!] -> Network & Internet -> Wizard.
> When you get to "choose the connection you want to configure", choose
> "Normal Modem".  I've never been further than that but it should launch
> the modem config, then just ask for dialup number, password, etc.

However, this does depend on the type of modem. If you have an internal
PCI modem, or an external USB modem, there's a fairly good chance it's a
'winmodem' and may or may not work under linux. Often extra drivers are
needed. This comes down to modem manufacturers being difficult about
releasing drivers under useful licenses or releasing specs to implement
drivers (though a softmodem driver is a big project anyway).

Have a look at http://www.linmodems.org/ if you can't get the modem
working, see if it's listed.

Craig Ringer