[plug] Wanting RH7.3 (or similar) for IPCop build.

Nathan D natdan at pobox.com
Mon Sep 29 21:25:48 WST 2003

Hiya all,

I'm wanting to get a copy of RH 7.3 to do a basic install so I can build the latest alpha of IPCop (a well supported fork of SmoothWall).  This is not something I have done before so I am following the instructions here - http://ipcop.org/cgi-bin/twiki/view/IPCop/IPCopBuildingv01

I originally wanted to do this with the small server I have already (Debian/testing), but could not meet the required dependencies - or am not that skilled with Debian yet :(   A quick install on a spare box (using the Bonzai installer) gave me a working Woody install.  This allowed me to get the required packages down from CVS and start the build.  Several attempts and much head scratching later... the build would constantly exit with this error -
cp: cannot stat `updfstab': No such file or directory
ERROR: Failed to build updfstab

last lines in the build log -
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpci
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [updfstab] Error 1

Can anyone give me pointers or tips in plain english? :)

Feeling let down by the magic of Debian, I resorted to pulling down the iso for disc 1 of RH 7.3 from iinet.  This failed the md5sum check, and partly installed, then refused to boot afterwards.  A check of WAIX mirrors reveals RH 8 and 9, but no sign of 7.3.  I have found some 7.1 discs but believe there are major changes between 7.1 and 7.3?

Now I am trying to get my hands on a working RH7.3 (or apparently Mandrake 8.2?) CD to give me something to build with.  As far as I know, only CD1 is required for a very basic install?

As I am currently on roster (until Friday), I am limited to how from work/home I can travel.  I am hoping there might be somebody in the Armadale - Maddington(ish) area that can lend/burn me a disc, or point me towards a WAIX friendly location?

Any tips on the Debian build problem, or where to find the appropriate RH/Mandrake would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
  Nathan D.