[plug] funny process name

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 30 12:25:58 WST 2003

In message <20030930040703.GB2430 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:07:03PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 11:52:41AM +0800, James Devenish wrote:
> | (-:0 doesn't ring a bell off the top of my head.)
>
> That's just as well really; depending on how loud the bell was that
> could be quite unpleasant. *grin*

And my enemies would have nothing left to strive for. (But
seriously...yes, that certainly was an odd mixture of metaphors.)

> | Try adding an 'f' option to ps, or using pstree, to investigate the
> | parentage of that process (eg: `ps afuwx | less`).
>
> Oooh, I'd never heard of either of those before today.  Cheers! :)  BTW,
> "ps afuwx | w3m" works a bit better as unlike less, w3m doesn't wrap
> long lines.

(Although I am a w3m user...) Try `ps afuwx | less -S`, then ;)

In message <20030930040031.GA2430 at erdos.home>
on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 12:00:32PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> # readlink /proc/629/exe
> /usr/bin/kdm

Cheers to you for this, which I had not known. I am always wondering
about Linux equivalents for process investigation, but it has been a
while since I read the proc(5) manual.