[plug] IDE tape drive [solution]

Matt Kemner zombie at penguincare.com.au
Tue Sep 30 12:39:48 WST 2003

Quoth Jon:

> > > So there were no other settings for the IDE connectors?

I went through the whole BIOS, and there was nothing else.
I also upgraded to the latest BIOS and tried the latest stable Linux
kernel (2.4.22)

I guess the only thing left to try is see what happens under Windows, but
that's another several-hours job, and it would probably be cheaper to just
buy another mainboard. :)

Quoth Onno:

> > Back to my original question, do I tell the Kernel team so they can
> > work-around it, or how do I tell Intel that their BIOS is broken - as
> > both Matt and I suspect.

If it can be worked around, then it's probably a good idea to do so, but
I'm not sure if a disabled IDE port can be worked around...

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003, quoth Michael Hunt:

> Does the tape drive have any firmware patches available for it ??? It
> could be the tape drives firmware that is causing the problem.

I tried another tape drive, completely different make/model, same result.

 - Matt