[OT] remove process or file [was Re: [plug] funny process name]

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Sep 30 16:14:46 WST 2003

In message <20030930080527.GC704 at pinion.innovative.iinet.net.au>
on Tue, Sep 30, 2003 at 04:05:27PM +0800, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> > >kill -0 $p && kill -KILL $p
>
> > guess that would make sense ;-) the -0 option sends signal 0 (which does
> > nothing) to the process, so effectively just tests for the pid.. right?
>
> Right.

(Sorry to be a pedant, but...) 0 is "the null signal" and it is highly
unlikely that any POSIX-compliant kernel will actually pass such a
signal to any process (at least not as part of "kill", though I have not
read the spec). However, I do not dispute that this is probably the
canonical way to test the validity of a PID.