[plug] Maildir vs mbox

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Thu Apr 1 14:23:03 WST 2004

I'm just curious as to what people think the cons / pros are of the two
mail storage formats?

Basically I've got a new server (IBM x225 - Xeon 3Ghz, 1Gb RAM etc.) to
build our new email machine with.  But I'm tossing up whether to go with
mbox as on our old email server, or to go with the Maildir format.  I'm
using Postfix as the MTA, so either format isn't a problem as I'm pretty
sure it supports both.  The machine has dovecot on there already for
pop3/imap support and according to the docs, that also appears to
support either mbox or Maildirs also.

Now one of the issues we have had with the old server with mbox, is that
several users have spools that are rather large (i.e. several hundred
megs), due to leaving copies of messages on the server.  So what has
become a real issue is that when receiving a new message, it has to
rewrite this large file again, which does take a bit to do... and then
of course there is the fact that when they do a POP3 query, it spends a
bit of time reading the file as well.  So then of course the email
client may decide to remove certain messages from the server because
they've been deleted by the user during a POP3 query, so then it again
has to rewrite this rather large file.

So all this processing, all this rewriting large files takes a rather
substantial toll on the system its currently on.  So thats part of the
reason its being replaced.. other factors are also the age of the
machine (pushing towards 5 years old now) and I think there may be a
hardware issue with it (but I'm afraid that if I pull it apart to
investigate it might not start back up again - so I haven't dared touch
it whilst its still working).

My understanding of Maildirs, is that they basically write the emails as
single files into a directory.  So there is no bog down of rewriting
(potentially) large files constantly.

The disk setup in the new machine at the moment is just two 36.4Gb 10K
RPM U320 SCSI drives in RAID1.

TIA for any suggestions/comments.

/ Ben

P.S.  Yes, I have read the Maildir vs mbox article on the Courier site.
Seems a bit biased to me.