[plug] Maildir vs mbox

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Apr 1 20:25:15 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-04-01 at 18:25, James Devenish wrote:

> Needless to say, the best performers are usually those that employ some
> kind of index, and that is not part of either Maildir or mbox per se.
> For remote IMAP/POP users, I imagine Craig's recommendation of Maildir
> (or derivates) is the best advice.

In fact, cyrus is a good example of a maildir derivative that maintains
indexes on the mailboxes. This is _bliss_ when listing large IMAP
folders - I have users who have 4000 message folders that open in
moments.

Learn to use folders, you say? Well, most of them have been shown how,
slowly and carefully in small, words, SOME FIVE TIMES, so I've given up.

Craig Ringer