[plug] LinmagAU

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Apr 2 22:48:18 WST 2004

Kimberly Shelt wrote:

>This is an assumption by you.. NOT ME.. I still stick with sucking
>my passwd from the home system.. aka doze.. but the reality is just what I said..
>finger pointing ..no matter what you run.. people have better ideas..
>about what is more secure.. this is an issue the person who runs a site
>has to deal with.. I dont know one from the other..
>I do know that lots of sites run it.. and for the most part I never had
>any issues..
>
>And the verdict is not in anyway..
>
>BTW I ran POST NUKE...

Going on my past experience.  I ran a site with PHP-Nuke, which Post
Nuke is based on and it got done over by a script kiddie.  So the
easiest point of entry would've been via that... so logically speaking
the easiest point of penetration is generally the most likely place.

>I dont :)
>Putting up hands is the easy part.. doing the work and doing it consistantly
>over a period of time.. is the hard part :)..well so it seems :)

Yes, sticking with something is the hard part.  Myself and two others
have been running games servers in our own personal time for over 3
years now.....  there is all the stuff that goes on behind the scenes
that no one knows you do, all the times when you do it all and still
only hear whinging and critical comments (particularly in the online
gaming scene).  It sometimes seems like you do it all for nothing... but
when it stops for some reason, everyone suddenly realises that you were
doing a lot behind the scenes.

>>So what happens if you put all the time and effort into running it for a
>>couple of months under the same structure and it all comes to a
>>screaming halt again and you're left to try and rebuild it *again*.  You
>>certainly wouldn't be a happy camper.
>>

>I havent said I woudl rebuild under the same or a different structure
>you assume :(

Sorry, that comment was directed at the poster of the original message I
was replying to... I should've structured my email better to show that.

Rest of my reply taken off-list.

/ Ben