[plug] GIMP/Pshop

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Apr 2 22:56:29 WST 2004

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004, Craig Ringer wrote:

> Hi folks
>
> I've noticed something interesting over the last few weeks. The POST has
> been getting even more mangled images (incomplete/truncated, corrupt, or

<snip: interesting GIMP- and GhostScript-related success stories>

> I find this trend interesting - OSS apps that while they may not quite
> do everything you need, can be used as an incredibly handy helper
> alongside commercial apps because of their tendency to handle document
> formats in more robust ways.

100% agree... there have been many times when OpenOffice.org came up
trumps for me even in its earlier version and regardless of whether Linux
or Windows.   Nice to see smiles on people's faces when they thought that
all their precious work was down the gurgler.   Of course the off-hand
"oh, by the way, the programme that managed that (miracle) is written by a
huge contingent of talented people across the globe and is Open Source"
goes down well too - when the grateful party has had time to dissolve
their cardiac-arrest tablets ;-)   I find "Open Source" a much better
phrase than "free" since (my people at least) have the mindset that if
it's free, it cannot be worth anything.

My 2c and thanks for the prod on The GIMP.   Now that I have some serious
iron running Linux, time to roll out the odd app or two :-)

Cheers,
Denis