[plug] Best partition backup program?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Apr 5 22:14:39 WST 2004

On Mon, 2004-04-05 at 19:57, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> Partimage is like dd but better, can talk to a remote server, will do
> compression, understands the filesystem layout so won't copy empty
> blocks (on most common fs types anyway), and is generally quite nice.
> It'll also save and restore the MBR and partition table for you.  It
> apparently has a bootable CD version, too, which I've never used.

Unfortunately, partimge doesn't squash a partition down before copying
it, nor can it expand it after copying. If you want to make an image
that can be restored to a smaller partition, you have to resize the FS
first, then shrink the partition down to the FS size. I _really_ wish it
at least set the 'required restore partition size' to the _fs_ size not
the source partition size.

Craig Ringer